Monday, February 25, 2013

Week Fifty Eight

Crafting progress this week!

I finished the back piece of my Flo cardigan and started a sleeve. I started with the cuff and then knit up the sleeve. The pattern proposes that the cuff is picked up from the cast on edge and knit at the end.

I decided on the blue kidsilk haze to go with the ink pashmina.
Here is how it looks. I am very happy with the yarn combination.

I also knit a little more on my son's sweater. I finished the body and picked up and knit the raglan button band. Then sewed on the buttons. I just have to knit the sleeves down to the cuffs now.

I made a dress. This is a length of Ponti knit fabric. I bought it from Tessuti sometime last year. I'm trying hard to make 2013 be the year I shrink both my fabric and yarn stash. 
(And resist online shopping!)

I'm not completely happy with this dress. It looks great on the dress form, but the print hits my hips at the wrong height. I don't think its as flattering as it could be. 
I cut this dress slimmer than my previous versions because the fabric is so stretchy. That was a successful modification, so I will be using it as a guide for more dresses in future.

And even though this is a sleeveless dress, the style works well with a cardigan over the top when Autumn starts in earnest. Today (with cold airconditioning) I wore it with a fine knit black cardigan and black ballet flats.
The pattern is Vogue V8319, (out of print).

This is unlined and all the seams and hems are topstitched.

Finally in the spirit of stash clearing. I used this short length of fabric (synthetic?) to make up an extra cushion for the family room.
Its not particularly distinctive. Just a basic greyish brown but practical for the kids.

Monday, February 18, 2013

Week Fifty Seven

I have finished Annabelle.
The yarn, Sundara Aran Silky Merino in the limited edition colour "Somewhere Out There" is magnificent. I am sorely tempted to knit all my stashed Sundara ASM into simple garter stitch cardigans like this. The raised stitch texture is perfect for showing the yarn to its advantage.

No modifications other than increasing the length of both the body and sleeves .

The buttons are enamelled coconut shell bought from All Buttons Great and Small (sidebar link)

I made a dress next.
This is linen in a design from Nani Iro called "Winter Wonderland".
I bought this fabric length from Duckcloth a long time ago. When I received it I realised it  was a heavier linen than would suit my initial idea. Plus the placement of the design made cutting a challenge.

The fabric is mostly white with random shapes. It is not particularly wide. So my dress length could not be cut accross the width. It has two bands of colour striping on each selvedge.

I had a sudden inspiration to cut my most recent favourite dress out.
Firstly I removed the selvedge so that I could reattach it at 90 degrees to form a hem.

Then I cut the dress and assembled it. I top stitched every sewn edge and seam.

The linen creases very badly. I think it will be a useful summer dress, but perhaps not a favourite one.
I am very happy I found a use for this long time stashed fabric.

I picked up a knitting project and hope to work on it and have it finished in a few weeks.
It is Flo by Kim Hargreaves. I am about 75% of the way up the back. The yarn is Madelinetosh Pashmina in Ink

I have still to decide the colour of the decorative frills. I have Rowan Kidsilk haze in Pearl or Heavenly to choose from.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Week Fifty Six

Annabelle Cardigan
I am almost finished Annabelle. Just yarn ends to weave in.
It is a dull and rainy day,  not good for a photo-shoot so I will post photographs tomorrow or Thursday.

Finished Cross Stitch Projects
I took both the Love Tattoo and the Bird and Flower cross stitch projects to be made up as cushions. I chose a velvet fabric and piping colours for each of them. They are due for collection in a week or so. I hope to show finished photographs then.

A New Cross Stitch Project
I started another cross stitch project. It is called In The Frame by Felicity Hall. I'm planning to work on this progressively doing one small framed motif at a time. It will become a cushion.

Here is a picture as I unpacked the box.

I've set it up on my frame, organised and separated the threads. Made a 'shade card' by tying a small amount of thread along the colour key. Then I started with the butterfly in the yellow frame at the bottom right hand corner.

Monday, February 4, 2013

Week Fifty Five

I am suffering with a bad head cold and can't find the motivation to get the camera set up, or indeed to do much of anything. So there will be no photographs this week.

In any case, I have only to report that this weekend (before I got sick) I finished Love Tattoo and the Bird and Flower cross stitch projects. Both will be going to be made up into cushions.

I finished the body of Annabelle and sewed on buttons. I am half way down the first sleeve.