Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Week 118 : Knitting charts

I was asked by some Ravelry friends to post details of my pattern (re)writing system.

I use Moleskine books. The small ones with brown card covers and gridded paper. I have quite a lot of them now.

Photo A

I write the title on the cover and keep one with my project. At any one time I have several books in circulation.

When I start a project, I establish a grid. This is easy with the squared book paper. I note down gauge, the needles I'm using, and my yarn. Which although I would usually remember that, I do often knit multiples from patterns and its good to compare. Also this system is all about getting my project onto an auto-pilot so I can supervise children, chat or do other fun things.

Photo B

I draw ten squares horizontally (labelled 0 to 9) and mark rows vertically in tens. Each box represents one row. The first box (row "0") is my cast on row. Here, I have made a note in box 0 that I cast on (CO) 40 stitches.

Rows (boxes) 1, 2, 3, 4 are labelled "R". This represents my ribbing.

Row 5 is the start of my stockinette. I started with a knit row (K) and all rows after are marked either K or P.

I mark boxes according to the project requirements. For example Photo C here, row 5 here has an increase. (Ic) and my stitch count is growing to 42. There is another increase on row 17 (Photo D) which goes to 44 stitches.

Row 31 has a decrease (Photo C) which takes me back to 42 stitches.

Photo C

Photo D

Some rows have cables. I mark them C and circle them. A button hole is marked B.

Photo E

Then when I knit I mark off each square with a single diagonal line.

Photo F

When I knit a second piece (for example a second sleeve) I mark the diagonal line in the opposite direction.

Photo G

This way my sleeves will be identical. I can be distracted without constant checking.

Marking boxes "K" or "P" is laborious, but I find it helpful because whilst I might forget to mark a box off at the end of a row, I am unlikely to forget for more than one row. This way I am better able to keep count on paper and keep my knitting on track.

At the end I mark which row I bind off on. Sometimes this is a moving target. If I'm not exactly sure of my row gauge. I might write the anticipated measurement in the margin to prompt me to check and then I write in my BO numbers when I'm sure.

Photo H

So that's my low-distraction knitting system. I would love any feedback. You can message me in Ravelry as Doodlesknit or comments here are just as good.

To my lovely friends on the Sundara Forum on Ravelry. Thank you for all your kind words about this. I hope this covers your questions!


3 comments: