Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Week 134 : Book Week Parade

Its Book Week again and my kids have very specific ideas about what costumes they would like to have for the parade.
So it has been a weekend of busy crafting.



Firstly my daughter wants to go as Anna from the movie Frozen.
I bought some cheap acrylic fleece and cut a cape, a sleeveless top and (with some cotton) a simple a-line skirt (elastic top).


The dress form isn't a nine year old girl size, so things aren't sitting very well. 





She painted the 'embroidery' design. Not that any of the fabrics were particularly likely to fray but the paint finish gave the edges a nicer looking weight.


We glued sequins on the cape spots and sprinkled glitter over the top of the paint. 
The real challenge is going to be the two hair braids. Hairstyling is NOT something I have very much success with.


My son wants to go as a wolf monster from one of his adventure stories. Usborne "Quest of the Gods, Shadow of the Storm Lord"


The key elements as far as he is concerned, are a blue wolf head, gold armour and the two swords.



We're not finished yet. I made the base pieces with box card and he painted them. Now that its dry, he has to add detail lines and stick on teeth.




Both costumes have to be finished for Friday's parade.


I haven't done very much other crafting this week. I finished a hat in Madtosh ASAP. This colour is called Cove. I added more stitches and length as its for my husband for those wintery dog walks.



I knit rows on the yellow Sundara cardigan and bought buttons! Little glass ones from my favourite button shop All Buttons in Newtown. I'm a few inches from finishing the body fabric. I might then go straight to the button band and do the sleeves last.



No comments:

Post a Comment