Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Week Seventy Nine

A week of focussed effort and I have an almost finished cardigan. I still have to seam the sleeves and sew on buttons, but all the knitting is done.

The buttons are simple pearly plastic. There are 13 of them. (Better planning at the start would have set up a better spacing). But despite them looking a little yellow in the harsh morning sunlight, they seem like a good match.



I then told myself I would work only on in-progress projects and reduce their number. There's too much clutter around at the moment. So my Rincleau sweater is back on the needles. The yarn is Sundara Aran Silky merino in the limited edition colour The Great Pacific. I think I can finish it in the next couple of weeks. 



Despite all my good intentions for staying with unfinished projects though, a trip to the button shop inspired me to cast on another fingering weight cardigan. I am so happy with the Starry cardigan, and I wore its template, (a purchased black cardigan) a lot on holiday. I'm telling myself I'm entirely justified to cast on another lightweight cardigan for the wardrobe.

So.... these glass rose buttons came home with me and are a perfect match for this Sundara Fingering Merino Cashmere in a pale blue variegated "Icicles".








































Then, still dreaming about starting new projects,  I have wanted to make a big Albers Shawl. I love the colours of the original Ann Weaver design, but I wanted a version which brought in some warmer colours.


At the Chicago Art Institute, I was inspired by the wonderful painting by Mark Rothko, named Untitled (Purple White and Red) and later on our holiday I bought some Jade Sapphire 2ply cashmere.


I wasn't happy with the purple cashmere skein on offer, but this deep blue tends to violet at least. I am keeping my eyes open and might see if there are other skeins around. I think the 'Moonstone' is beautiful against the 'Robe Royale' red. And the 'Black Walnut' is a cool brown, perfect for the frame colour. 



1 comment:

  1. Your starry cardigan is beautiful. Looking forward to seeing progress on all the lovely new projects.x

    ReplyDelete