Thursday, December 20, 2012

Week Forty Eight - Update

I have collected the photographs for one more project.

A Knitting Bag.

Materials and Process
I started with Zweigart linen, bought at Morris and Sons which has a nice even grain for cross stitch.
I used anchor thread in a mustard colour for the flower motif. The chart for this came from my favourite book Made in France.

I used a pair of Rowan bamboo bag handles (I bought several sets when they were discontined a few years ago) and I chose from a few stashed Saffron Craig printed cottons for the lining.

Here's a close up of the finished embroidery. I did run short after the first skein. Unfortutely there is a dyelot change between that and the subsequent thread. I'm accepting this as evidence of hand made!

Hers's a view of the reverse embroidery. I knew this would be concealed by the lining but I still tried to keep it reasonably neat.

A view of the bag in construction, inside out. I applied fusible interfacing to the sides to support the bag a little more. (The linen had a lot of drape)

The view right side out with the lining inside but not fixed. Two pleats either side of the embroidery.

Then I folded the fronts over the handles, and hand sewed them down.

Finally I giftwrapped in a box with gold tissue and tied with gold ribbon.

No comments:

Post a Comment