Monday, December 3, 2012

Week Forty Six

This week is the last week of school term and still very busy. I have only a few small things to post.

First up is my son's brown sweater. It is progressing despite him saying he doesn't like brown and wants red. I've knitted three red sweaters for him already. I'm done with red for the time being. He has brown eyes and brown hair. Mummy wants a brown sweater!



The baby cardigan is still on the needles. I have procrastinated longer than it would have taken to finish it. I have been concerned that this soft single yarn looks sloppy in the stitches with my gauge. I thought about going down a needle size to tighten it up, but then I have already added stitches to upsize it, because my gauge is smaller than the pattern is designed for, and I don't want to run short on yarn.
So I am pressing on and hope to finish by the end of the week.



I took a little knitting break and cross stitched some dragon flies on some linen remnants. They will become project bags in the New Year.

The motif comes from this book. I've used it a few times before and its a favourite.



The dark blue linen was a very close weave, so I tried out some dissolving canvas to guide my stitches.
I'm glad this was an experiment because I just pinned the plastic on to start with and merrily stitched away. Next time I will baste the plastic to the linen so keep it securely positioned. My dragonfly slipped slightly and finished crooked on the grain of the fabric.


The plastic canvas dissolved in water in only a few minutes.

I made a cream dragonfly on this pale watery green linen too. My stitching here is not as crisp as it could have been. The grain of the fabric wasn't right for my thread and stitching.



Better photographs will follow when they get sewn into project bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment